when it comes to water, what we care about is QUALITY and the water we drink being CLEAN. alkalinity is not important. if clean water also happens to be alkaline, that’s fine. but we would NOT recommend paying extra money for something that’s alkaline and NOT clean.
look for Reverse Osmosis, carbon filtration.
spring water from a trusted spring might be ideal. most of us do not have access to true spring water. you can look to see if there is one near you. “spring water” that you buy in a grocery store is usually nothing better than tap water. what’s accessible to all of us is Reverse Osmosis water.
- ideally, you would have an RO system installed in your home that you can draw directly into a stainless steel canteen or glass drinking container. if you’re in Las Vegas, check out Joy Parker of Puriteam, our local water quality expert.
- you can fill up large jugs of water at RO stations in most cities. many Whole Foods Markets have RO stations. ALL Natural Grocers. some mainstream grocery stores have them. if you live in Vegas, check out our resources in this post.
- if you’re purchasing at a store, look for drinking water or purified water. turn the bottle around and read the fine print. here you should see things like Reverse Osmosis, carbon filtration, and added filtration methods such as ozonation, UV, and infrared. many prominent brands use RO to clean their water such as Smartwater, Aquafina, Dasani, Nestle Pure Life, and others. the only problem with RO water in bottles is the plastic – most of these bottles have been sitting for long periods of time, in varying types of temperatures.
- as a transitional step, consider a countertop filtration system. Puriteam has a top-rated countertop system that filters out chlorine, VOC’s and heavy metals.
what about alkalinity?
converting water into a specific pH has nothing to do with how clean the water is. when you look into human physiology and the digestive system, you’ll see that the stomach (upper GI) is meant to be extremely acidic to activate a protein-digesting enzyme called pepsin and to break proteins and foods down for assimilation. it doesn’t make any sense to drink water that is more alkaline just to have it pass through a very acidic stomach. body tissue acidity and alkalinity have nothing to do with the water you drink, but more eating REAL FOOD.
remember to mineralize your water!
clean water is absorbed better when it has some useful nutrients. the best nutrients to include would mimic minerals and electrolytes that would be picked up from groundwater. there’s a big difference between drinking water and actually absorbing water. having essential minerals, electrolytes, and salts make the water more absorbable. the water also looks more like what the body needs for tears, mucus, saliva, interstitial fluid, and other fluids. we recommend adding to everything you drink:
- a pinch of unrefined salt such as this Himalayan or this Celtic (my favorite).
- a squirt of this trace mineral product.
how much water to drink?
- start with 1/2 your body weight in ounces up to 100 oz per day. once water is your main source of fluids each day,
- drink to thirst :)
resources for sourcing water properly.
- check out this video and post we did on sourcing your own water. this is a must watch / read if you’re in Las Vegas!
- find a local spring that is safe enough to drink from.
- check out Puriteam for home filtration systems, countertop systems, and shower filters. or you can just call Joy with any questions (702) 749-5308. customer service is amazing!