there are no wrong turns, there are only new turns :)
had another amazing sunrise meditation this morning with my good friend Gwendolyn. you should come to the next one, btw. they are always very special.
we got into a discussion about past decisions. and then reflecting on what’s happened since, and where we are now.
there’s no such thing as a wrong turn. there are only new turns that open up an entirely new set of infinite possibilities. these possibilities shift with every moment and every decision.
- think back to your best decisions. you are here because of those.
- think back to your worst decisions ever. you’re here because of those as well. and YOU ARE STILL HERE! you are who you are because of those decisions as much as any other decision.
at the time of making any decision, we do the best we can with what we have based on where we are. always. even if where we are at the time is immature, unwise, and inexperienced. which btw is relative at any given moment.
- many of our “bad” decisions have led to changing course, learning, and evolving – in a good way. there’s so much potential for growth from these situations.
- many of our “good” decisions weren’t easy! and of course, they also led to changing course, learning, evolving, and appreciating what’s good.
let’s say you have a choice – stay home and work and make extra money for your family, or take a vacation and an opportunity that may not come up again. which is “better?”
both! neither! all of it!
- if you stayed home and made extra money, that would have its upsides and downsides. more money, taking care of those you care about. working towards a goal. but missing out on a rare opportunity.
- if you went on vacation, that would also have its upsides and downsides! rejuvenation. clarity. healing yourself so that you can be there and be better for others. having presence in a situation that may never come up again. but missing an opportunity to make more money.
it all depends on how you choose to see it and what you decide to do with it. either decision would have been exactly what it is and had its own set of possibilities. this is true for even the most difficult situations. any and every decision we make, even those we might consider to be the “best” or “worst” in hindsight, have a new set of opportunities, learnings, and growth, that continue to shift as you move forward.
- make the best decision possible always.
- factor in your own health and happiness, and the health and happiness of others to the best of your abilities. do an ecology check. if the decision harms you and/or others, you must pause.
- if it’s a tossup, if you can justify or rationalize any and every direction, go with one, decide, and let it be done!
- then do your best on your new path, understanding it’s always all good as long as you choose to perceive and receive it that way.
- don’t regret or beat yourself up. what is is what is. the question is, where to go from here?
other helpful things :)
- there are no wrong turns, only new turns. it’s worth saying again :)
- embrace uncertainty. there is great wisdom in uncertainty. uncertainty is where all the adventure is. it’s where all the evolution is. the known, the certain, is our past. there’s no evolution in the past. there’s only stagnation and entropy.
- everything that happens to you is the best possible thing that can happen to you. perception is a choice.
- we are always immature, unwise, and unexperienced compared to our future self.
- we are always more mature, wiser, and more experienced than our previous self.
do your best every day. be as healthy as you can be. take care of yourself first. live. love. honor. cherish. commit to healthful presence.