knives, cookware, and containers
download our nifty checklist here, and then go thru this post for specific product recommendations and instructional videos.
REMEMBER SOME OF OUR VALUES:
- FREEDOM from understanding, implementing, and experiencing our foundations for health, which give us tools we can use for a lifetime.
- simplicity and elegance.
- constant learning and experimentation, which leads to honed intuition.
- it’s about the journey and enjoying the process.
- love and kindness to ourselves and everyone else as they figure all this out.
- making this work in a modern lifestyle.
- there never failure, only feedback. we strive for perfection, and learn from imperfection.
- the only 2 knives you absolutely need are a
- 8” – 10” chef knife
- a small paring knife.
- typical choice is between German or Japanese:
- our top pick for value and just amazingness?
- German tends to be a little thicker and sturdier. we recommend something like this http://amzn.to/2AJPhks or this Wusthof http://amzn.to/2k73kKs
- Japanese tends to be thinner and lighter. we love globals like this 8” http://amzn.to/2BBEBIj or this 10” my personal favorite http://amzn.to/2CJMedz
- when choosing your chef knife:
- consider handle size and feel.
- balance of the blade.
- we recommend going to Bed Bath & Beyond so that you can hold various knives.
- we do not recommend serrated blades or Santoku styles.
- get something large!
- you want room to work.
- we recommend this carving board.
- small ones are fine for camping.
- go big for kitchen!!!
- we love this OXO carving board http://amzn.to/2yMS5LO
- soft, tapered handles.
- double sided – can flip to prevent contamination.
- durable, non-porous, odor-resistant.
- teflon – PFOA
- aluminum – leaches into food
- copper – leaches into food
- enamel, ceramic, glass
- cast iron
- stainless steel
ALL YOU NEED:
- a large skillet 10”-12”, with lid
- something deep, with lid
- something for heating up liquid (stainless steel)
- something for baking (glass or stainless steel)
- we love this 12” skillet https://www.ceramcor.com/cookware/ceramic-skillets/12-100-ceramic-versa-skillet-braiser-with-cover/
- we love this saucepan https://www.ceramcor.com/cookware/ceramic-saucepans-soup-pots/ceramic-saucepot-cover/
enameled cast iron
- we love this lodge 12” deep skillet with lid http://amzn.to/2yNHyjn
- and thus lodge 6qt dutch oven http://amzn.to/2BmQNdn
stainless steel saucepan for heating up water, coffee, liquids and foods:
- love this 1.5 qt http://amzn.to/2yMjRIz
glass baking dishes
- this is a great set http://amzn.to/2B1L3sw
stainless steel baking sheets
- we would recommend a couple of these http://amzn.to/2CM2Pxr
- here’s a great bamboo set http://amzn.to/2yLFWGV
- kitchen shears http://amzn.to/2B1rHnu
- stainless steel stock pot http://amzn.to/2yNtI0x
- slow cooker, again, bigger is better http://amzn.to/2COr8e2
- thermometer http://amzn.to/2yMwFi0
- Instant Pot http://amzn.to/2BCrGFU
- wide mouth pint mason jars http://amzn.to/2BCxYpn
- wide mouth quart mason jars http://amzn.to/2CN6fji
- wide mouth half gallon mason jars http://amzn.to/2yMwVxu
- Glasslock containers http://amzn.to/2B1Mnvs
- check out LunchBots stainless steel containers http://amzn.to/2yNnTQN
REAL FOOD COOKING AND FOOD PREP TIPS FOR SUPERHUMANS
an oldie but goodie! https://superhumantransformation.com/real-food-cooking-and-food-prep-tips/